St. Lawrence Neighborhood

St. Lawrence Neighborhood of Toronto

St. Lawrence Market: In 1803, Lieutenant Governor Peter Hunter established a public marketplace in what today is downtown Toronto, where farmers from nearby townships sold produce and livestocks to residents of the town of York (now Toronto). A wooden building was constructed in 1820 and replaced in 1831 by a brick building, which was also used for city council meetings. The market expanded south of Front Street in 1844 with the construction of the Market House and City Hall. It was enlarged again in 1851 when the St. Lawrence Hall and Market was built north of Front Street. The market was an important source of revenue and the City of Toronto rebuilt the north and south market buildings in 1899. The resulting complex, including the present-day south market, was designed by John. W. Siddall and completed in 1904. The market remains an important part of Ontario’s commercial history.(Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario).

Marché St. Lawrence: En 1803, le lieutenant-gouverneur Peter Hunter créa ici un marché public où les fermiers des cantons avoisinants vendaient leurs produits et bétail aux résidents de la ville de York (Toronto). Un bâtiment en bois érigé en 1820 fut remplacé, en 1831, par un édifice en briques, où avaient aussi lieu les réunions du conseil municipal. La construction de Market House et de l’hôtel de ville, en 1844, entraîna l’expansion du marché au sud de la rue Front. Elle continua au nord de la rue Front avec la construction du St. Lawrence Hall et marché, en 1851. Source importante de revenu, les bâtiments nord et Sud du marché furent reconstruits en 1899 par la ville de Toronto. Terminé en 1904, le complexe, qui inclut le marché Sud actuel, fut conçu par John W. Siddall. Il reste un symbole important de l’histoire commerciale de l’Ontario. (Fondation du patrimoin canadien, un organisme du gouvernement de l’Ontario).

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest