Queen’s Park is an urban park in Downtown Toronto. It was opened in 1860 by Edward, Prince of Wales, and named in honour of Queen Victoria.
The park is the site of the Ontario Legislative Building, which houses the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, and the phrase “Queen’s Park” is regularly used as a metonym for the Government of Ontario.
The section of the park north of Wellesley Street follows the traditional British design, dominated by large trees. Footpaths radiate outwards from an equestrian statue of Edward VII, which stands on a large mound at the centre of the northern section. This statue originally stood in India. It was moved to Canada after 1969, when India became a Commonwealth republic.
The site of the park is approximately oval and it’s bounded by Queen’s Park Crescent East and West. The north section of Queen’s Park is the saluting station for the Province of Ontario. Gun salutes are conducted here to mark special occasions including Victoria Day (fired at 1200 EDT), Canada Day (fired at 1200 EDT), and Remembrance Day (fired at 1102 EST). Other salutes are also conducted here throughout the year as dictated by protocol.
Statues and monuments located in the Queen’s Park:
- Statue of John A. Macdonald by Hamilton MacCarthy
- Statue of John Graves Simcoe
- 48th Highlanders Regimental Memorial
- George Brown, one of the Fathers of Confederation, by Charles Bell Birch 1884
- King Edward VII, by Thomas Brock 1919; installed at King Edward VII Park (now Netaji Subhash Park) in Delhi, India in 1919, removed in 1967, sold in 1968 and re-installed in Toronto in 1969
- Sir John A. Macdonald, first Prime Minister of Canada, by Hamilton MacCarthy 1894
- John Sandfield Macdonald, first Premier of Ontario, by Walter Allward 1909
- William Lyon Mackenzie, leader of the Upper Canada Rebellion, by Walter Allward 1940
- Sir Oliver Mowat, third Premier of Ontario, by Walter Allward 1905
- Northwest Rebellion memorial
- John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, by Walter Allward 1903
- Queen Victoria, by Mario Raggi 1870
- Sir James Pliny Whitney, sixth Premier of Ontario by Hamilton MacCarthy 1927
- Ontario Veterans Memorial
- Ontario Police Memorial, by Siggy Puchta 2000
- Queen Elizabeth II Rose Gardens, in honour of Her Majesty’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 and Golden Jubilee in 2002
- Al Purdy, celebrated Canadian poet
- Canadian Volunteer Monument, by Robert Reid 1870
- Jesus Christ, central figure of Christianity
En 1859, la ville de Toronto loue des terrains du King’s College, et en 1860, un parc est inauguré sur ces vastes terrains. Cet espace vert est nommé en l’honneur de la reine Victoria par le Prince de Galles, le futur roi Édouard VII.
Le Parc Queen’s est considéré pendant longtemps comme un endroit privilégié pour de nouveaux édifices du Parlement. En 1879-1880, l’Assemblée législative de l’Ontario et le conseil municipal en autorisent la construction. Un concours a alors lieu. Faute de lauréat, le contrat est accordé en 1886 à l’un des juges, Richard Waite, originaire de Buffalo, le fait qui soulève un tollé de la part des architectes ontariens. L’immeuble central de l’imposante structure d’inspiration néo-romane est terminé en 1892. Le 4 avril 1893, s’ouvre la première session de la Législature ontarienne sous le ministère de Sir Oliver Mowat.