East River Greenway
The East River Greenway (also called the East River Esplanade) is a 9.44 miles long foreshoreway for walking or cycling on the east side of the island of Manhattan on the East River. The Greenway is separated from motor traffic. Many sections also separate pedestrians from cyclists. The path is parallel to the Franklin D. Roosevelt East River Drive (FDR drive) for a majority of its length. Parts of the greenway were built at different times. Most of the greenway was built in the 1930 to 1950s.
The East River Greenway is operated by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. It runs runs along the East Side, from Battery Park and past South Street Seaport to a dead end at 125th Street, East Harlem (a 1.3 miles gap exists from 34th to 60th streets in Midtown where pedestrians use busy First and Second Avenues to get around United Nations Headquarters between the Upper East Side and Kips Bay). Cyclists going further north who do not wish to carry their bike up the long flight of stairs at 81st Street must skip the 60th Street access and continue in the on-street bike lanes another 1.1 miles to 83rd Street.
The Greenway enters Stuyvesant Cove Park, a 1.9-acre public park that runs from 23rd Street to 18th Street, east of Avenue C. It is located to the south of Waterside Plaza and to the north of the East River Park, connecting to the Captain Patrick J. Brown Walk on the south end.
The Captain Patrick J. Brown Walk is a brick-paved walkway that connects Stuyvesant Cove Park on the north to East River Park to the south. Designed for use by pedestrians and cyclists, it runs approximately between 15th and 18th streets, and Avenues C and D, and was named in 2002after Captain Patrick J. Brown, a firefighter who died in the September 11 attacks, and who lived in nearby Stuyvesant Town.